Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Introduction & Bibliography

I have been a fan of Alfred Hitchcock's work for an awfully long time. I am saddened to say that I cannot remember which was the very first Hitchcock film I saw. I have a sneaking suspicion it was either Psycho or The Birds. The latter is now one of my Top Ten films of all-time along with another Hitchcock classic, Strangers on a Train.

Over the past ten years, I have slowly been accumulating every movie Hitchcock directed on the glorious format of DVD. It has taken me a while, but I have finally achieved my goal. Admittedly, there are some of his movies which are simply unavailable due to the unfortunate fact that they no longer exist.

This blog will chronicle my project in which I attempt to watch each and every film in chronological order (and maybe a few of his directorial jobs on his own TV series, Alfred Hitchcock Presents).
I will give a brief synopsis (trying to avoid major spoilers) and offer comment and critique to the best of my ability. I will also throw in a few interesting facts if I stumble across any.

So, join me! Picture me all snug in my comfies on the settee with a big mug of tea in one hand and a notepad in the other as I take the journey watching a master at work. It will be a sporadic trip, I'm afraid, so don't expect a daily update. It's more of a leisurely stroll.

Below is a list of books that may be of interest. I may use some as a guide whilst I stealthily venture into the dark mind of the genius.



Hitchcock on Hitchcock, Edited by Sidney Gottlieb, 1995
ISBN 0571191363



















The complete Hitchcock, Paul Dondon & Jim Sangster, 1999
ISBN 075350362X
















The Dark Side of Genius: The Life of Alfred Hitchcock, Donald Spoto, 1983
ISBN 0859652130
















Alma Hitchcock: The Woman Behind the Man, Pat Hitchcock O'Connell & Laurent Bouzereau, 2003
ISBN 0425190056
















Hitchcock at Work, Bill Krohn, 2000
ISBN 0714843334
















The Films of Alfred Hitchcock, Neil Sinyard, 1986
ISBN 0831732210

No comments:

Post a Comment